Monday, January 12, 2015

12 Weeks till Spring ....

I mean, 12 weeks until spring break is over.  At which time my house will be deep-cleaned and organized.  Let me share my plan:

Week One:
The bedroom should be an area of sanctuary in the home.  It should be the one place that everything is at peace and the rest of the world can be shut out.  Those reasons are why I chose to focus on my bedroom first.

Week Two:
My biggest challenge, hands down, is keeping up with the laundry.  I have tried the load-a-day system, the all-in-one-day system, the each person does their own system - fails, every single one!  I HATE laundry, so the thought of doing it every day is awful (I really tried to think of a more colorful way to say that but it just flippin' sucks!).  Doing 10 loads in a day inevitably leads to a load left in the washer, a load left in the dryer, a couple unfolded loads on the cedar chest (where I put them after I moved them from the bed so I could go to bed....), a tub of unmatched socks, stack of clothes that haven't yet been put away and maybe five loads completely put away.  I don't even want to tell you how the 'everyone do your own' thing didn't work out - suffice to say it was an epic fail.  So, in addition to deep cleaning and reorganizing my laundry room, I will also come up with some kind of laundry system.

Weeks Three and Four:
My second biggest challenge is keeping up with the paperwork.  My 'office' consists of stacks of papers, randomly placed craft drawers, bins of magazines, etc.  I cannot see my desk top and haven't been able to for a couple of months now.  I gave myself two weeks for this project because it is going to require purging and filing and sorting and.....

Week Five:
My bathroom

Week Six:
The Living Room

Week Seven:
The Dining Room

Week Eight:
The Upstairs Bathroom

Week Nine:
The Kitchen - I'll have to kick Darin out or do it while he is at work since I will be invading his territory!!

Week Ten:
The Shed - It's a small shed, meant to hold gardening supplies and yard equipment.  Unfortunately it leaks - something we didn't know until we had stored cardboard boxes in there.

Weeks Eleven and Twelve:
By far, the largest project is The Music Room.  It is a 10 X 14 metal shed that has become a storage place for whatever we couldn't find a place for in the house, including everything that came from my classroom - I accumulated a lot in 2 years!  Unfortunately, while storing things, order was not the first thing on my mind.  It is chaos - there isn't even a path from one door to the other - it's horrible!  The two weeks that I have slated for that project are the two weeks of spring break.  Darin is taking one of those weeks off; I think we can get it accomplished.

Each week I will post pictures of the before and after of each room and describe how I did what I did.  Please comment and make suggestions, I can use all the help I can get!!

No comments:

Post a Comment