Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Party Like It's 1965

Our version of the 'Swanky 60's'



For Darin's 50th birthday, we decided to do a throwback theme.  I tried to include the iconic drinks, food, and decorations from the time period, as well as dressing the part!

I'll ty to put in as much detail as I can as to decorations and how to's.  For all the printables, rather than individual links, they are all saved on my Pinterest board 'Darin's 50th Bday' check them out there!
Displaying 20150221_192719.jpg  
Musical themed cake - the decorations are all made from chocolate

Table decorations - the small jar is filled with Jolly Rancher Fire Candies and reads '50 and still hot!'  The tall jar is filled with Hershey's kisses and reads 'Kiss your 40's Goodbye!'  


I found this 16th Century replica of an Italian globe bar at the Goodwill for $25!!!  It fit perfectly!!!



Also at the Goodwill was this magazine from February 1965!


The bottle was supposed to look like it had had many candles burnt in it....  I guess 7 and 10 year old girls have no idea what dripping was would look like!!!

These recipes all came from a 1965 'How to entertain' article

One thing I did was add pictures of Darin throughout his life.  It provided a great source of entertainment and conversation to all of our guests.


The old record player and 45's belonged to my grandparent and was passed to me after they passed on.

The spiky balls are just styrofoam with skewers poked in them and then painted gold.

Two of my favorite pictures!  He is on the far left.

Another super Goodwill find was the fondue pot.  We also had sweet and sour meatballs.

We tried to make a blacklight photobooth since that was just starting to come onto the scene, but were unable to get the blacklights bright enough to fill the space.  Oh well, we did have glowlight fans.... ;)

Darin and a few of the boys around the bonfire!


Shannon and Sheila - the hippy and the greaser


And the party aftermath with the candy cigarettes and the big pink curlers that were in the bathroom!!
 Let me know what you think!!  Overall, I think we captured the spirit of the 60's and we all had a great time drinking Manhattans, Old Fashioned's and SoCo Sours and jiving to music played on a phonograph with all the snaps and crackles that accompany old records.  It was a great party!!

No comments:

Post a Comment