Thursday, April 9, 2015

Charlie's 19th Birthday

My kids are not spoiled.  No, really, they truly aren't.  However, every once in a while, an opportunity arises that is very difficult to pass up.  Such was the case for Charlie's birthday this year.  While looking for his birthday present, a CD from his favorite a cappella group, Home Free, I came across their tour dates.  Lo and behold, they were going to be in Denver the day after his birthday.  Next bonus, the tickets were affordable! Now, for those of you that know me, I have a hard time holding back a gift that I've gotten - I am one of those that has to give it away at the next opportunity.  However, I restrained.  I had gotten the tickets for the concert in January!!!  Yes, three months I had to hold out - it was torture.  It's a good thing that everyone else in the family can keep a secret, cuz I had to tell someone!  

Anyway, let me start with the cake.  Charlie is an avid sci fi fan.  Therefore, one of his favorite shows aired in the 2002.  Though it was short-lived, Firefly was actually a pretty amazing show that was cut short before it could develop a huge fan base.  So to explain the cake, I offer this short clip from the pilot episode: Wash and his dinosaurs.  

This Land


I think we should call it your GRAVE!!


AAHHH! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!!


HA! HA! HA!  Mine is an evil laugh!  Now DIE!!


Charlie's favorite line




He appreciated the cake and it was an easy one for me - win, win!  Then, I gave him his card which contained the tickets to the concert.  I wish I had the video or pictures of his face, however, my computer is not working correctly and so I am unable to upload them from my ancient camera onto my online drive.  When I do, I'll come back and repost them.  His reaction was priceless!  The rest of the pictures are of the show.  It was his first concert. He was so excited that I was sure he was going to pop a couple seams somewhere!!! 

You'll want to slide-show the rest of the pictures and I will tell the story through the captions. 
Home Free

Super excited!

When is it going to start?


Charlie and I waiting in anticipation.




The opening act: FACE - great group.  They really set the stage and got the crowd pumped up even more.


Home Free: Tim, Austin, Rob, Chris, and Adam





Because it was so loud in such a small theater, the quality of the recording is not the best.  If you want to hear this song without the distortion, go to Wake Me Up










All About That Bass
This was one of my favorite moments of the show:  Tim is singing Your Man' - great bass song but then he goes a bit over the top and get put in his place!  However, he combats this by starting the next note so low that the speaker on the camera couldn't even pick it up.  In fact, we felt the rumble in our chairs before we heard the note!  I wish I could impart the feeling to you.





















Adam:  I swear he has a couple extra tongues or his is split into a few sections.  I don't know how he can make the sounds that he does, but he is amazing!  I know people who have 10-piece drum sets that can't rival him!

The distortion is pretty gnarly on these next couple of videos, but if you can overlook that, you too will glimpse the genius that is Adam.






Us out front after the concert - it was AMAZING!!!!!
After the concert, we were able to meet the group and get autographs.  He shook Tim's hand (I don't believe its been washed since!).  Then to top it off, Tim signed his CD "Happy Birthday, Charlie"!

For me, the best part was on the way home after he had bought us lunch and we were back on the road.  He looked at me and said, "Best Birthday, EVER!!"  Now, what am I going to do next year!?!?!?!

If you ever get the opportunity to go see these guys, GO, as fast as you can!  They put on a three hour show that was so worth every penny and moment.  I LOVE these guys and will go see them again if given the opportunity!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment